ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Javadoc cleanup for task reference generation
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:43:43 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 18:34
Subject: Re: Javadoc cleanup for task reference generation

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
> > One style question: what is the preferred Javadoc comment style for
setters?
> > Lots of our comments say "Sets the [attribute name]".  We already know
its a
> > setter, so is it ok to drop the "Sets the" part?
>
> I'm not sure I follow the logic. I generally expect the javadoc for a
> setter to say "Sets the ...".

well, most of my javadocs are autogenerated by jEdit, so say "sets the
velocity property of the Vehicle object"

Problem is if we turn this into the attribute table it doesnt parse so
well...imagine it in the table

velocity         sets the speed of the vehicle

versus

velocity        the speed of the vehicle.

Maybe the trick would be to strip 'sets' out from javadocs when generating
the end user stuff.

NB, one little extra exercise from this javadoc/xdocs project could be a
quickref card, maybe even a poster size one. Anyone fancy a quick XSLT
exercise?

-Steve