ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Diagnostics.java
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 05:31:49 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java
Diagnostics.java

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
> > Well, yeah, but how often has that not been used by users and we field
> > questions that have the answer "put junit.jar in ANT_HOME/lib and call
us in
> > the morning"?  :)
> >

> The typical situation is that there will be many tasks which cannot be
> used. I certainly would not want to get warnings about star team tasks
> being unavailable.

maybe, but we could be smarter about saying these things

1. look through the taskdef list to see if the task is listed
2. if aint, give the 'unknown, misspelling or later version' text
3. if it is, do class.forname()
4. if that wont work, redirect the user to a page on apache specifically
related to that task

jakarta.apache.org/ant/missing&taskname=junit

Actually that would be best of all; run it server side.