ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant on java 1.4
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 07:27:58 GMT
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> till 1.4 there was an implicit "1.1" right?

An implicit "leave it to the compiler", which is something different
IMHO.

> So fixing target to 1.1 if unspecified only makes things
> consistent.

See Magesh's other thread.

> But maybe we need a way to say "target=unspecified" to let the
> compiler decide.

Which means I'd have to make my build file Ant 1.5 specific to make it
work the same way as an unchanged version did in 1.4.1.  No good IMHO.

> Also, we are going to have to write a 1.4 special notes page
> somewhere in the docs to spell out all this fun,

Thank you for volunteering 8-)

Seriously, I've not been using JDK 1.4 too much, so I haven't run into
any issues myself yet - I doubt anybody would veto "more
documentation".

>> The target attribute has been in <javac> since ever, so I don't
>> know why nobody is using it.
>
> because, till now, it was irrelevant

Point taken.

Stefan