ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Annoncement text for 1.5beta1
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 12:40:18 GMT
On Tue, 14 May 2002, Christian Neumann <christian.neumann@gmx.de>
wrote:

> I just want to ask if including the optional.jar file in the binary
> ant distribution will be the default way in the future?

Not doing so has caused irritation by lots of users.

We have figured that the people who have problems with optional.jar
being on the class path tend to know better what they do (and how to
solve their problems) than people who cannot run an optional task
because they forgot to download the jar 8-)

> Because this seems to break the easy way described in
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/faq.html#delegating-classloader in
> dealing with external libraries.

Not really, you just need to move it out of the way.

> Including the optional.jar in the binary distribution makes it
> mandatory to modify the standard ant installation

Granted, but not including it will make most people modify the
standard installation by add optional.jar to ANT_HOME/lib.

Stefan