ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant on java 1.4
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 07:51:00 GMT
On Fri, 17 May 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> I did a quick grep and no jakarta or xml project is using target
> attribute.

Because probably nobody responsible for the build files has been aware
of JDK 1.4's "feature" yet.  Just like you or myself.

> In fact many are setting 'classic' compiler in build.xml, so they'll
> not even compile with JDK1.4 out of box.

Well, they better should have never done so 8-).  Seriously, this is
something that needs to get addressed (fall back to modern as we do
the other way around for JDK 1.2 and 1.1).

> My point is that most people just don't know about this new
> wonderfull 'feature' of JDK1.4.

I simply don't want to turn the JDK 1.4 feature into an Ant 1.5
feature of "why does Ant force me to set the target attribute if I
don't care for JDK 1.1".

Documenting it in <javac>'s doc and on a 1.4 issues page is better
than implicitly setting command line switches just because we feel the
default value is wrong.

Stefan