ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JPackage-devel] FW: jakarta ant 1.4.1/1.5 ant script
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 10:38:58 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> - usejikes option
> Stefan, you just warned us of redundancy against standard

Ask Henri 8-)

I think the reason is that he wants to have a way to use jikes
whenever it is installed from inside the RPM spec files, at least this
is what I've understood.  If you use -Dbuild.compiler=jikes, Ant will
fail if jikes is not installed.

> Moreover, i still it is an error to have ant developpers taking care
> of this.

Let's go a few steps back and see where we started from, OK?

My main concern is that the ant script that shipped with the Ant RPMs
in the past were too different from the ones in Ant's CVS.

We got some bug reports that we couldn't really understand until we
finally got a snippet of the wrapper script the people were using -
and the we've sent the same people away with "make your administrator
stop messing with our scripts" as we didn't know it were yours.

We advice people to put libraries into ANT_HOME/lib or set the
ANT_ARGS environment variable and so on ...

We agreed that things would be a lot better if our scripts were closer
to each other and in my and Nicolas' opinion the best thing would be
if you didn't need to use a wrapper script of your own at all.  It
seems as if we really could make that happen.

> - java_function ... Why not include it in ant distribution, and
> source it directly ?

When we released 1.5beta1, java_functions didn't cover all of Ant's
needs, so we didn't include it.  Pending possible vetos of other
committers, I'd commit it together with Nicolas' changes.

Stefan