ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant on java 1.4
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 06:21:33 GMT
On Wed, 15 May 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> I'll try to commit a fix and set flag to generate 1.1 code
> and use modern if 1.4 is detected, but I don't have any time now.

I wouldn't want this to happen unconditionally.  There is no reason to
generate 1.1 compatible class files if you know your code will only
ever run on 1.4 VMs.

The flag that you have been talking about it the -target switch, which
is already supported via <javac>'s target attribute.  There shouldn't
be a reason for more than that IMHO.  This attribute is ignored if you
happen to compile on JDK 1.1 - so it is save to always set it to "1.1"
or something.

Stefan