ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug 5662
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 15:51:13 GMT
On Mon, 13 May 2002, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

>> (A) Always pass user-properties down as normal properties, that way
>> inheritall doesn't make any difference and nested elements can
>> override user properties.

> I think this is the best solution.

> My reasoning is that is the build file writer wants to make the
> params passed to a sub-build overridable, that can be achieved by
> justing using a property value in the subbuild param.

I was thinking about magic properties here.

<ant>
  <property name="build.sysclasspath" value="ignore" />
</ant>

would cause more than just a few problems in a well-known context.

>> (C) Invent yet another type of property.
>
> I'd have to say that this just "smells" in the Martin Fowler sense.

It sure does, but I think it just points out that our property system
as we are using it today is at least a bit broken.  Probably
overloaded by too many concerns that have been pulling on it in
different directions.

Stefan