ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant on java 1.4
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 14:50:02 GMT
On Fri, 17 May 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> If you use JDK1.1-JDK1.3, the default is 1.1 anyway ( on javac ).

OK.

> If you use JDK1.4, the current default is 1.2.

And it has been that way a month ago.

> That brakes backward compatibility for all projects who target
> JDK1.1.

I'm not taking about JDK 1.4 breaking backwards compatibility - we
both know it does in too many places to enumerate them - but backwards
compatibility to Ant 1.4.

If I don't care for JDK 1.1, I won't set the target option in Ant 1.4 and
use the compiler's default value.  If I do, I better set the target
option instead of relying on Ant (which I can't if my users may be
stuck with Ant 1.4 anyway).

> Many projects _require_ 1.4 to be fully built, and all those will
> not work with JDK1.1.

If these projects want to be compatible to JDK 1.1, they should make
that decision consciously and set the target attribute explicitly
IMHO.

Stefan