ant-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: Ant test framework
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 01:44:23 GMT
This is part of an email conversation between Conor and myself about
getting the build file test framework available as another deliverable of
ant.

In Maven, we've written several project specific tasks that need to be
tested on a regular basis, and rather than subsume the source code from
Ant, we'd much prefer the 'Ant Test Framework' to be available as a jar
file so that other projects can specify it as a test dependency, and use
it.

So the proposal is that for Ant 1.6 and beyond the test classes needed to
test build files be packaged up as another jar and made a deliverable like
the optional jar is.

Votes: +1/-1/+0/-0?

I'm willing to make a new build file for ant to build the test framework
and package it as a jar (i.e. +1 from a non-committer).
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> So what do you think I should do?

Let's make it happen in Ant. That would be a start :-) There is already
some impetus so adding your voice as a task developer requesting the
feature would help move it along.

> I don't want to copy it into Maven's
> source tree and maintain it there,

No - that would suck - enough of that going on already.

You've convinced me that this should be part of the Ant deliverable.

> like we're doing with the Ant target,
> but writing ant tasks without testing them is damn stupid.

We should talk about that a bit more - this is to set the refs in the
parent project?

> I know - don't write tasks :)

Writing tasks is a good thing :-)

> I'll check out the dependencies and see what I can do....

I've had a quick look just now. It seems pretty well self contained
(inner classes) External deps will be junit.jar and ant.jar

Conor