ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ian McFarland <>
Subject Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 09:53:08 GMT

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 01:19  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ian McFarland <> wrote:
>> At the prompting of Steve Loughran, I'm trying to get up to speed on
>> stuff here, so I can help out with regressions on OS X.
> This is great!

Glad to help however I can.

> But you certainly shouldn't be the only one dealing with it.  We have
> a MacOS X box at the ASF that committers can get access to (and I'll
> just now ask for an account on it ;-).

You should make them give you an Xserve.

>> However, just a plain checkout from cvs had the negative results
>> posted at the end of this email.
> I.e. the 1.5 branch works, but 1.6alpha doesn't?

Ah... perhaps. I suppose I should look more carefully at what I'm
checking out. ;-) How are the versions set up? Is there a handy readme
somewhere I should be looking at? I'm reading through and looking around the
ant site for more detailed guidelines and stuff, but any must-read stuff
you'd like to point out would be most helpful. I'll poke around with my
exciting command line cvs client and see what tags and stuff I can find.

What are the priorities for testing?

> I've committed a fix to the 1.5 branch about ten days ago that makes
> test21 pass on JDK 1.1 and 1.2.  Maybe this has fixed the test for
> Apple's 1.3 VM as well.

Well, I ran ./ test on the 1.5b1 stuff that comes in
jakarta-ant-1.5Beta1-src.tar.gz, but there really didn't seem to be much
junit action going on. Below is the whole run. (I also did a build clean
test, which resulted in more compiling, but no more apparent testing.
(At least no more output.) I haven't really investigated much further,
other than to confirm that there are in fact a bunch of test cases in

A separate Java process did get spawned. (I get a fun little bouncing
Java icon in the dock when that happens.) Maybe it's just not being
verbose about what happened.

Here's the output:

[carbon:~/Projects/Ant/jakarta-ant-1.5Beta1] imf% ./ test
Buildfile: build.xml

dump-sys-properties: mode HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
os.arch=ppc OS X

Copying 2 files to /Users/imf/Projects/Ant/jakarta-

Total time: 4 seconds

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message