ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ian McFarland <...@neo.com>
Subject Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 13:13:33 GMT

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 04:59  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ian McFarland <ian@neo.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 01:19  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> You should make them give you an Xserve.
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with MacOS X to know what you mean.  I
> have to take what we have, though 8-):

See: http://www.apple.com/xserve/ (A very nice little 1U unit, with up
to .48TB storage, and 1 to 2  1GHz procs. New this week.)

> bash-2.05$ uname -a
> Darwin moof.apache.org 5.2 Darwin Kernel Version 5.2: Fri Dec  7
> 21:39:35 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.14.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
> Macintosh powerpc

Looks like you're running 10.1.2. Probably a useful thing to do on at
least one test machine (run something older). Mine's 10.1.4:

Darwin carbon 5.4 Darwin Kernel Version 5.4: Wed Apr 10 09:27:47 PDT
2002; root:xnu/xnu-201.19.3.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

Mine's also a 2-proc box, which is probably good as there's a chance it
will expose any potential threading/sync issues.

>> Ah... perhaps. I suppose I should look more carefully at what I'm
>> checking out. ;-) How are the versions set up?
>
> The main branch...
* snip *

Ok, I checked out ANT_15_BRANCH, and got the same build failure on test
21:

Testcase: test21(org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.AvailableTest):  FAILED
expected:<true> but was:<null>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<true> but was:<null>
         at junit.framework.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:234)
         at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:68)
         at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:75)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.AvailableTest.test21(AvailableTest.java:205)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run
(JUnitTestRunner.java:325)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeInVM
(JUnitTask.java:797)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:
544)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:
520)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:334)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1216)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1160)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:195)

I should probably check stuff out on one of my linux boxes, too, so I
can compare and contrast failures.

> What I see now is that I'm unable too bootstrap Ant there because I'm
> not running in a graphical mode, at least this is my interpretation of
>
> kCGErrorFailure : initCGDisplayState: No display interlock
>
> Any idea how I could solve this?

Hrm... That's an interesting one. Um... Never tried to run headless
before to do this. Lemme try it myself....

This may take some work. When Iog in as myself over ssh, I still have
access to my window server, 'cause I'm logged in. I'll have to try this
by logging out, and logging in to my desktop from my laptop.

One workaround, though, it seems, would be to leave the machine logged
in to a role account of some sort, that you use for testing. Kind of not
my favorite idea, but it might be a workable workaround. Don't know if
that can be done without a monitor, at least for bootstrapping.

I'll investigate further once I've had some sleep or something. ;-)
(I'll try to figure out test 21 and stuff, too.)

-Ian