ant-dev mailing list archives

From Chad Loder <clo...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Possible bug with <parallel>, <antcall> and depends
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 00:13:17 GMT
Steve,

Your response wasn't very helpful. :-) I already
know that ant doesn't do parallel builds the way
I expect. My real question is, "Should it?", and
if not, why not?

The documentation for <parallel> is not clear on
this point.  Should this be considered a documentation
clarity issue or an outright bug?

Now, before I get flamed, I do understand how "depends"
in ant is different than depends in GNU make. The ant
documentation states:

         "It should be noted, however, that Ant's depends
         attribute only specifies the order in which targets
         should be executed - it does not affect whether the
         target that specifies the dependency(s) gets executed
         if the dependent target(s) did not (need to) run."

However, right after this statement, the documentation also
states:

         "A target gets executed only once, even when more than
         one target depends on it (see the previous example)."

Then the documentation for AntCall states:

         "When a target is invoked by antcall, all of its dependent
         targets will also be called within the context of any new
         parameters. For example. if the target "doSomethingElse"
         depended on the target "init", then the antcall of
         "doSomethingElse" will call "init" during the call."

My point is, the "junit" target only gets executed once when
multiple <antcall> tasks are specified.  So far so good.
However, when the <antcall> is inside <parallel>, this desirable
behavior disappears. It sounds like a defect to me, and I'd
be willing to submit a patch that fixes it, just as soon as
someone tells me I'm right. :-)