ant-dev mailing list archives

From Chad Loder <>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 19:29:55 GMT
Your email seem to suggest that templating must be built on top
of ant, rather than into ant itself.  I looked at Maven and
Centipede, downloaded them and played around with them.  To be
honest I think they offer (or try to offer) much more than I

Having thought about this some more, all I really want is to be
able to define a target in one XML file (say, win32exe.xml).
Then I could refer to it from other XML files, setting or
overriding properties as necessary. I think I can do this with
the <ant> built-in tasks.  Semantically it would be kind of weird,
because as I understand it, the top-level element must be a
<project> with a project name and so on...but if I can get the
functionality I need this way, I'm not too worried about the

What do you think?

At Wednesday 5/1/2002 01:53 PM -0400, you wrote:
>I think its an unfair generalization to say that ant-dev is "unwilling" to
>deal with it.  Perhaps "uninterested" is more accurate.  Is there some way
>in which we committers have made it more difficult to build the templating
>pieces on top?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message