ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Donie <SDo...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Integrating Ant into another tool - How do I get around Syste m.exit(0) call in Main.start()?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 16:48:29 GMT
You should also take a look at what CruiseControl has done - sounds similar
to what you want to do. http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Reid [mailto:mark.reid@proxima-tech.com]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 8:53 PM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: Integrating Ant into another tool - How do I get around
System.exit(0) call in Main.start()?

Thanks for the tip Alexey,

At the moment I'm trying to set up my own Project instance within my
application and run it without having to reset the SecurityManager. I'll
definitely keep your suggestion in mind though.

I've took what I needed out of Main.runBuild(...) and used it in my .jsp and
tried using org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger as the listener. I couldn't copy
it wholesale as there was a call to Project.fireBuildStarted() which is
protected and I'm working in a different package. This meant that XmlLogger
doesn't initialize properly and throws a NullPointerException when it
receives a BuildEvent.

What is the reasoning behind the Project.fireXXX(...) methods being
protected? If they are to remain protected then I think
Project.executeTargets(...) should call it so it doesn't need to be called
outside of org.apache.tools.ant.

Any other thoughts on this?

Regards,

Mark.

> Hello,
>
>   this is what I did to disable System.exit() in my test application:

[..snipped code]

> Sincerely,
>   Alexey Solofnenko.
>
> --
> { http://trelony.cjb.net/   } Alexey N. Solofnenko
> { http://www.inventigo.com/ } Inventigo LLC
> Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

it
> looks like it's been discussed here before. That post quotes the docs
> saying:
>
>     * If you integrating Ant into some other tool, this is not the class
>      * to use as an entry point. Please see the source code of this
>      * class to see how it manipulates the Ant project classes.
>
> This is what I'm doing at the moment but to save me some painful
> mistakes
> was wondering if anyone has done this before and would be willing to
> give
me