ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT!] Fix Ant 1.5 Support for JAXP [Was: XMLCatalog.java -- patch breaks bootstrap.bat Yikes!]
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 02:06:21 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2002, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>
> There is a section in all JCP specs that (aledgedly) require any
> implementation to pass a test suite, otherwise it can't be distributed.
> There are also requirements to distribute the full impl, not a subset.
> Of course, xerces is a clean-room implementation ( but as it was
> discussed, it is not clear if clean-room is ok - and some people who
> contributed on the impl. have read the spec ).
>
> Again, it all depends on how much you care about small prints and
> how you want to interpret it. Some believe that are issues with the parts
> of the licence that restrict clean-room impl of a spec. And I doubt
> Sun will sue ASF for this.
>
> In any case, distributing Jaxp without Xalan can't be called a
>  'JAXP1.1 implementation', and can't pass the test suite ( since
> 1/2 tests are for XSLT ).
>
> For an official answer you should contact Sam Ruby, or someone who
> have access to the licensing list on ASF. All I can say is that
> distributing it without xalan makes me very uncomfortable.

OK thanks. IANAL either so the following is just my opinion :-)

According to the current JCP requirements I'm not sure we could
distribute Ant with either Xerces or Xalan since I am not aware that
either pass their JCP test suite (there may be some exemptions
negotiated for Apache that I am unaware of). If the press releases were
any guide, this issue should be resolved but I don't think the final
resolution has happened yet.

You know, if what you contend is true, Xerces itself could not be
distributed without Xalan :-)

If we do decide to include Xalan we need to figure out which xml-apis
jar to include since Xerces and Xalan appear to use different versions
:-( Can anyone vouch for the suitability of using Xerces with Xalan's
xml-apis jar or do we have to take a leap of faith?

Conor