ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject [IMPORTANT!] Fix Ant 1.5 Support for JAXP [Was: XMLCatalog.java -- patch breaks bootstrap.bat Yikes!]
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 00:54:14 GMT
Hello:

I have found the thread where the choice of JAXP/xerces/xalan jar files
to include in Ant 1.5 was discussed:

Stefan Bodewig was the one who expressed reservations about including
the Xalan jar files,
but he did not explicitly veto the idea.  His concern [ Stefan correct
me if I am wrong here ] is that
we should minimize the number of third party jar files that we ship with
b/c then you
have the problem that they get out of date-- right?  Each of the
respective Apache projects:
Ant, Xerces, and Xalan are on different release schedules, so by only
including _absolutely necessary_ jar files,
you minimize the problem.

Here is my take on the issue.   Ant release 1.4.1 INCLUDES jaxp.jar
That means that my new "XMLCatalog.java" code
compiles just fine using Ant 1.4.1

By removing jaxp.jar from the bootstrap class path in 1.5, we have
REMOVED APIs that used to be there.   My code was
simply the first place to demonstrate this fact.  There is no telling
what ELSE we might break.  For example,
third party tasks that used to compile now won't, etc.

Because "jaxp.jar" _was already_ a part of Ant release 1.4.1, I think
the easiest, quickest, and most conservative approach
is simply to put it back.

As far as I know, all that would be required is to add it back to the
classpath in "boostrap.bat", "bootstrap.sh", "build.bat", and "build.sh"

Otherwise, I would be even happier if this provided the impetus for
bundling Xalan with Ant as well.   Then I believe all we would need
would be "xercesImpl.jar", "xml-apis.jar" and "xalan.jar"  (xml-apis.jar
obviates both jaxp.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar, right?)

Erik, Stefan, Magesh-- what do you think?

--Craeg