ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Z Grey <kzg...@ntplx.net>
Subject Re: ImageManip
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 03:23:04 GMT

Heya,

    I actually considered that same thing when I was looking into this.
 What I concluded is the following:

        - SVG is targeted at building images from the bottom up (simple
shapes, text, etc) for the purpose of simple, yet pretty pictures and
user interfaces (even animations!)
        - SVG is targeted at wireless (and related) devices where the
bandwidth is limited
        - SVG does not include handling of files (read/write/formats/etc)
        - SVG does not include manipulation of existing image files, for
example, you cannot take a JPEG of a monkey and draw a circle on his
face... you can however create an image of a monkey using vectors, but
it'd be really really hard to make it look remotely realistic.
        - My project is targeting manipulation of existing images, and
while SVG does have a good framework for their purposes, their model is
pretty obfuscated (in that its overly complex)
        - SVG doesn't seem to support the chaining model, but rather
only allows you to draw to a single palette.

    Further more, my envisioning allows the user to build complexity in
a hierarchical form; even extend by overloading one function, and it all
seems to fit nicely with  the ANT framework.  See where I'm coming from
with this? :)

~~K