ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: Available Task Unclear documentation? shoule I bug it or is it me?
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 14:05:31 GMT
Diane:

    Point well taken on missing the line in using.html. It is there, I just
didn't find it. To my mind, the placement of that information is good for use
as a tutorial, and bad for someone who already knows something about build
files, and is using the manual as a reference.

For now, I suggest that each special task have a notation that it is special
in it's description something like:

This property is one of several tasks that can be used outside of a target
element.

Perhaps somewhere there ought to be a list of such tasks too. It could be
linked from the above statement and perhaps reside in taskoverview.html?

Stefan:

> We didn't have a formal vote but it seemed to be consensus that we
> should allow all tasks to live outside of <target>s.  I'll start a
> vote for this for 1.6 after 1.5 has been released.
>
> Stefan

I would vote for tasks outside of targets, or an initialization element that
acted like a task, but was guarunteed to be executed before all tasks. In
fact, I like the initialization element better. It would group all the global
stuff in one place so things cant get added in funky places that are hard to
find.What I definately don't like is having to add a depends="init" to every
stinking task in my build file, or even worse sucumb to the temptation to
only add it to the tasks that need it, and get it wrong six times, taking 10
times as long.

Gus