ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: FW: Problem with ANT classloader?
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 03:06:36 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> I havent found it to be that much slower. A fair amount of the java exe and
> runtime libraries are already in memory and disk cache when you spawn the
> new JVM, so although there is startup hit, you dont pay the penalty of
> experiments to say this is a consistent truth, so in ACM terminology this is
> "an observation", not "a finding". Its enough of an observation for me to
> always set fork=true and not worry about things. Also when you fork you get
> System.exit() handling, proper-like, and better leakage handling.

Agreed, although the startup hit may be significant for a short lived
<java> task.

> I have that patch to do (1) posted a few weeks ago, and a better solution,
> derived from Dominique's suggestions (move it all to JavaEnvUtils, return a
> String array of intrinsic classes). The problem doesnt grow very fast, only
> at the rate of new java versions, so is tractable. Indeed, we should add
> some of the org.omg classes and even sun.misc for various bits of code to
> work in-JVM,.

Let me just add that the javax package itself represents something of a
problem. As time goes on parts of this package move from something found
outside the VM (it may be provided by an app server, for example) to
classes within the VM.

Conor