ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/extension Extension.java
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 23:36:47 GMT
The requirement is that Ant itself must build under JDK 1.1. This can be
achieved in various ways

1. Write the class so that it works under 1.1
2. Write the class so that it compiles under 1.1, perhaps with degraded
functionality (i.e. touch task). This may require use of reflection to
access non 1.1 functionality.
3. Make the class optional and provide checks in the build file to
exclude the class from the build

For your own custom tasks, you can use whatever version of Java you
want, providing your users have the appropriate JDK.

If the task is an optional task to be included in Ant you can use any
version of the JDK in combination with option 3 above.

If the task is to be a core task, or another core component of ant, you
should try to use option 1, if possible, falling back to option 2 if
required.

Conor