ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Type Librarys
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 13:23:13 GMT
On Wed, 8 May 2002 22:12, Darrell DeBoer wrote:

> > > 1) Types/TypeLibs can be registered under a namespace, which *may* be
> > > taken from the AntlibDescriptor (say, an AntLib name attribute), but
> > > can also be specified in other ways (eg <typelib library="ant1compat"
> > > namespace="ant1"/>)
> >
> > I would prefer it to be based on the name of the antlib (ie internal name
> > specified in manifest). I suppose we could support aliasing but I would
> > like the importing to be very obvious that it is aliasing that is
> > occuring. Maybe something like
> >
> > <typelib library="ant1compat" namespace-alias="ant1"/>
>
> This is (almost) exactly how it now works:
> <typelib library="ant1compat" namespace="ant1"/>
>
> Maybe we can default to use the antlib name if available, where namespace
> isn't specified.

Definitely. <typelib library="somelib"/> should work pretty much like
on-demand imports in Java (ie, import somepackage.*), so that each type is
available by fqn, and by short name if unambiguous.

> Me too - and that's how it is. As long as we're aware that this means that
> Type names cannot include '.'.

And a bunch of other characters - we should run the type and role names
through a really strict NameValidator, eg, letters and digits only.

> Converter classname is munged in the
> ConverterDefinition into a type name. (SInce converter names are never
> exposed it doesn't really matter what they look like internally)

Well, not entirely.  You need to know the name when importing an individual
converter from an antlib: <typelib library=".." role="converter" name=".."/>.
Not a big deal, the munged name is probably fine there.

--
Adam