ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Type Librarys
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 10:53:15 GMT
On Wed, 8 May 2002 19:54, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002 11:57, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > Nothing that good.  The goal is to add a 'virtual antlib' layer, to
> > consolidate how we deal with all the different classpaths and
> > classloaders we have - things like antlibs, extensions, the myrmidon api,
> > and ad hoc classpaths.
>
> Thats kinda neat. So an antlib == Extension with a descriptor?

Yep.  Looking at what I was planning, it will be a fair bit simpler if I axe
the antlib/extension split sooner rather than later.  If we're happy with
this model, I'll make the changes.

I wonder if we want to do away with the .atl filenames, and just make
everything a .jar?

> > * Come up with a better name for Library.  Any ideas?
>
> Traditional Names: Module, Unit, Extension, Plugin,
> Java-esque Names: Box, Barrel, Bag, Pocket, Sack etc
>
> Nothing really jumps out at me. About the only thing that could be useful
> would be using some kooky terminology (Box, Barrel, Bag etc) because it has
> no intellectual baggae and we can effectively decide exactly what the word
> means.

Maybe antlib or typelibrary or something like that might be a good name.
Otherwise a kooky name would work.

> > * Expose the myrmidon api, extensions, and antlibs as libraries via
> > LibraryManager (kinda done).  Also expose tools.jar and a jaxp impl,
> > either as extensions or directly as libraries.  I'm not happy with
> > LibraryManager atm, maybe the lookup and factory methods need to be split
> > into separate interfaces.
>
> Be careful about breaking things up too much. More
> interfaces/ideas/concepts mean more complexity and it is starting to get a
> bit hairy as it stands. ie the difference between Extension/LibraryManager,
> *Descriptors, Extension, Library, Deploying vs registering vs managing etc.

Yep, absolutely.  The motivation for all this was to streamline the whole
model, and to clean up as much of the complexity as possible.  We're still in
the early stages of building the new infrastructure around the old stuff, so
its all a bit complicated.  A bit of pruning, and things should be much
better.

--
Adam