ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Type Librarys
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 09:54:02 GMT
On Wed, 8 May 2002 11:57, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> Nothing that good.  The goal is to add a 'virtual antlib' layer, to
> consolidate how we deal with all the different classpaths and classloaders
> we have - things like antlibs, extensions, the myrmidon api, and ad hoc
> classpaths.

Thats kinda neat. So an antlib == Extension with a descriptor? I like that.

> * Come up with a better name for Library.  Any ideas?

Traditional Names: Module, Unit, Extension, Plugin,
Java-esque Names: Box, Barrel, Bag, Pocket, Sack etc

Nothing really jumps out at me. About the only thing that could be useful
would be using some kooky terminology (Box, Barrel, Bag etc) because it has
no intellectual baggae and we can effectively decide exactly what the word
means.

> * Expose the myrmidon api, extensions, and antlibs as libraries via
> LibraryManager (kinda done).  Also expose tools.jar and a jaxp impl, either
> as extensions or directly as libraries.  I'm not happy with LibraryManager
> atm, maybe the lookup and factory methods need to be split into separate
> interfaces.

Be careful about breaking things up too much. More interfaces/ideas/concepts
mean more complexity and it is starting to get a bit hairy as it stands. ie
the difference between Extension/LibraryManager, *Descriptors, Extension,
Library, Deploying vs registering vs managing etc.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald