ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Type Librarys
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 03:01:27 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2002 22:53, Darrell DeBoer wrote:

> The idea is to provide a namespace mechanism for type names, so that
> multiple types with the same name can coexist.

Yay.

> 4) The core antlibs (ant/lib/*) will be registered under an antlib name, or
> maybe a default namespace.

Antlib name, I reckon.  Keep the default namespace empty for the project to
play with.

> 4a) Perhaps types explicitly type-def'd (not an entire library, a single
> type), would be considered higher precedence again, above <import>ed
> library types.

+1.  Have it search from most specific -> least specific.

> 5) I'm also thinking about separating the TypeManager interface into a
> superinterface (TypeRegistry?) with just the lookup methods, together with
> the full TypeManger, which will include the registration methods.

Have a look at how Converter/ConverterRegistry and RoleManager/RoleRegistry
have been split up.  TypeManager should be consistent with them.

> Question:
> Is it appropriate to use XML namespaces for ant type namespaces?

Not if you don't declare it as an XML namespace.  Which is just extra crap
that would have to be added to project files (and which is going to cause
weirdness when projects move between validating and non-validating parsers).

Let's go with the '.' separator. We'll need to do something about converters,
since its class name is used as its type name.

> (And if not, are we planning to utilise XML namespaces for anything?).

Maybe.  A good candidate would be the aspecty stuff that has been talked
about.  But that would involve using a single ant: namespace, rather than a
bunch of different namespaces.

--
Adam