ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Type Librarys
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 01:57:44 GMT
On Mon, 6 May 2002 20:30, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just went and updated some of my older tasks to latest stuff you are
> doing with Librarys. Anyways before I got too far with that I was wondering
> where exactly you are going with the library stuff. Have you got a grand
> unified plan

Nothing that good.  The goal is to add a 'virtual antlib' layer, to
consolidate how we deal with all the different classpaths and classloaders we
have - things like antlibs, extensions, the myrmidon api, and ad hoc
classpaths.

The plan is something like:

* Come up with a better name for Library.  Any ideas?

* Use the library abstraction in the deployer, so that it does not need to
know what it is deploying from (done).

* Move code for searching for antlibs out of the embeddor, workspace, and
import tasks, into a new TypeLibraryManager service, and model antlibs as
libraries (done).

* Expose the myrmidon api, extensions, and antlibs as libraries via
LibraryManager (kinda done).  Also expose tools.jar and a jaxp impl, either
as extensions or directly as libraries.  I'm not happy with LibraryManager
atm, maybe the lookup and factory methods need to be split into separate
interfaces.

* Add some library query datatypes and/or tasks, so you can do things like
include the classpath for a library in a <path>, or use the classloader for a
library in the <java> task.  Probably add some kind of <library> datatype, so

that an ad hoc library can be defined in a project and used in the same way.

* Allow antlibs to extend other non-final antlibs.  Maybe do away with the
distinction between antlibs and extensions at that point.

* Move descriptor parsing out of the deployer, and behind Library somewhere.

* Make ExtensionManager (and maybe TypeLibraryManager) into a compound
service, which delegates to a bunch of child ExtensionManagers.

Plus a bunch more stuff - it's a bit of an experiment at this stage.

> and if so want to xml-ize it and add it to our xdocs :)

Sure.  I might java-fy it first.

--
Adam