ant-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 01:48:22 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 2002 16:46, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
>
> wrote:
> > I'm guessing we decided not to ship with Xalan - no big deal, I just
> > wasn't sure which way we decided.
>
> There hasn't been any veto, but I haven't seen any overwhelming
> support to ship Xalan either 8-)
>
> > Thanks Magesh for all the work you have and will put into this
> > release!!!!
>
> +1
>
> Stefan

G'day,

I'm tempted to say that we *should* include Xalan, or at least use the version
of JAXP from Xalan (xml-apis.jar, which is actually from the xml-commons
project), instead of the cut-down (parser only) version of JAXP that ships
with Xerces (xmlParserAPIs.jar).

The way things are now, the process to get <style> working seems to be:
1) Copy Xalan.jar into ant/lib
2) Delete xmlParserAPIs.jar from ant/lib
3) Copy xml-apis.jar from Xalan install into ant/lib

I think this is confusing, and could be a support nightmare, especially if
people start putting xml-apis.jar and Xalan.jar in their classpath, while
leaving xmlParserAPIs.jar in ant/lib.

My understanding is that there are some very minor differences between the
version of JAXP included in xmlParserAPIs.jar and xml-apis.jar, but I'm
pretty sure that the complete version that ships with Xalan will meet our
needs sufficiently, at least better than the incomplete version that comes
with Xerces. I guess the other option is to get the Xalan folks to ship a
"transform-only" version of JAXP, to complement the "parser-only" version
from Xerces (or package it up ourselves).

Stephane was doing some research on this a while back, but I think he went on
holidays? Here's the start of the thread:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-general&m=101898418819202&w=2

--
ciao,
Daz