ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 00:56:00 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 2002 02:28, Chad Loder wrote:
> Bummer. Sounds like this has already been discussed?

discussed to death.

> Can
> you point me to any archived messages maybe, or just give
> a brief synopsis of why ant isn't willing to deal with it?

Part of the problem is that the current architecture of Ant does not support
all that is required. Essentially we would need to delay evalution of a whole
bunch of things, add in semantics for either scoping or overiding of
properties/datatypes/taskdefs/typedefs/etc, add in a slightly different
processing model ...

Some of these things are backwards incompatible and some have been blocked in
the past. Even if this was not the case there has been several little flame
wars regarding how to implement this that basically paralyzed progress.

I would recomend you have a look at the existing projects as they are more
likely to be imediately usable by you.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald