ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ian McFarland <...@neo.com>
Subject Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 16:09:13 GMT
So you know how it's set up on OS X:

'classes.zip' is actually classes.jar, which lives (in the current
release) here:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Classes/classes.
jar
(i18n.jar, sunrsasign.jar and ui.jar also live here.)

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK is a
symlink to (you guessed it) the current JDK. Rignt now it points to
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1, but it is
updated automatically by Apple when they release new versions. (Note the
older release notes below still show 1.3(.0) as the current version.)

For more background, I thought the following might be helpful.

 From the Apple release notes:
(http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/java/ReleaseNotes/java10.1.html#JavaExtensions)

Java extension locations

Java can be extended by adding custom jar, zip, and class files, as well
as native JNI libraries, in the location specified by the java.ext.dir
property. In Mac OS X 10.0, this property pointed to
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3/Home/lib/ext,
and many third party applications placed their extensions there. There
are two problems with this scheme: installing files in the System domain
requires administrative privileges; and the extensions are tied to a
specific version of the JDK.

In Mac OS X 10.1, java.ext.dir has been changed to contain a list of
directories, and several additional locations for saving extensions have
been added. This new scheme makes it possible to override extensions,
and provides distinct locations for third party extensions, Apple
extensions, and Sun JDK extensions. By default, Java searches for
extensions, in order, in the following directories:

1.	User’s home directory (~/Library/Java/Extensions/)
2.	Local domain (/Library/Java/Extensions/)
3.	Network domain (/Network/Library/Java/Extensions/)
4.	System domain (/System/Library/Java/Extensions/)
5.	$JAVA_HOME
(/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Home/lib/ext/
)

In general, third party developers should install extensions in the
Local domain. Apple extensions, such as QTJava.zip, are installed in the
System domain, and Sun JDK extensions are installed in $JAVA_HOME.