ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mail...@laposte.net>
Subject RE: [JPackage-devel] FW: jakarta ant 1.4.1/1.5 ant script
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 11:46:35 GMT
Le jeu 02/05/2002 à 13:21, GOMEZ Henri a écrit :
> >My proposal :
> >
> >ANT_HOME=/usr/lib/ant
> >
> >/usr/bin/ant
> >/usr/bin/antRun
> >/usr/lib/ant
> >/usr/lib/ant/lib -> /var/lib/ant
> >/usr/lib/ant/bin/ant -> /usr/bin/ant
> >/usr/lib/ant/bin/antRun
> >/var/lib/ant
> >/var/lib/ant/ant.jar -> /usr/share/java/ant.jar
> >/var/lib/ant/ant-optional.jar -> /usr/share/java/ant-optional.jar
> >/var/lib/ant/jaxp-parser.jar -> /usr/share/java/jaxp-parser.jar
>
> Why /usr/lib/ant and /var/lib/ant ?

/usr/lib/ant is because of the scripts ; I've found out that people put
executable files (I know scripts are not arch-specific, but they do it
anyway) in /usr/lib. Some good examples are lsb functions, in /lib and
mozilla, in /usr/lib/mozilla (in this case it's even more obvious :
/usr/lib/mozilla contains scripts, executables and libraries, i.e. the
whole mozilla tree dump)

As for /var/lib/ant, if we create one it will be for configuration
purposes -> in /etc if it only contains symlinks, in /var/lib if we
intend to accept full jars. Since that's host-level conf it is variable
content, i.e /usr can be read-only medium but you can still put things
in /var to tweak the installation.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot