ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 11:02:57 GMT
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>

> I know you're very interested!  :)  I wasn't really referring to you, of
> course.  The point is that in the Jakarta "culture", we all work on what
we
> want to work on and our actions speak louder than words - if you have an
> "itch to scratch", then you scratch it!
>
> Now that we have the pluggable ProjectHelper, do you see this as an area
> where this sort of thing can be accomplished?
>
> Certainly no one can stop you from the preprocessing possibilities such as
> XSLT and Velocity - those are all above Ant's core - so you can't blame
> veto's from stopping that from happening.  :)

Centipede doesn't do that, really.

The project descriptors generate properties with the new XmlProperty task
that we have contributed to Ant; it's pure Ant.

> I very much agree that Ant is not providing enough for a complete build
> environment.  The fact that others are filling these gaps is a good sign,
> especially that there is some competition going too. I just hope those
folks
> keep in touch with the ant-dev community so that we are aware of any hacks
> and workarounds that they are doing because of Ant architectural
> constraints. Their work (or pieces thereof) can be leveraged to bring into
> the core as their work matures, it seems.

Of course, as it has just been done for the XmlProperty task :-)

I'm also using the contrib stuff, and find the for-each task very useful,
BTW.

> There are other projects layered on top of Ant that folks could claim show
> that Ant isn't doing enough as well: CruiseControl, AntHill, Gump,
Vindico,
> and I'm sure several others. Under the hood of all of them is Ant though.
> We just need to be sure to be sensitive and cooperative to these other
> projects and make sure we play nicely with them.

IMO Ant is doing well, so well that other higher level project build on top
of it.

None of these projects want to replace Ant, the *use* Ant.

As long as Ant stays away from trying to be something in particular, it can
still have multiple uses.

Please resist the temptation of becoming a project system, and remain a task
execution engine, and Ant will thrive... forever! ;-)

Guve users-devs possibilities, don't enforce them. Just as you have always
done and are continuing to do.

> p.s. Did you say mutable properties?!   -1    :)))  (just kidding!)

Are you sure? ;-P

            - verba volant, scripta manent -