ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 02:04:37 GMT
I know you're very interested!  :)  I wasn't really referring to you, of
course.  The point is that in the Jakarta "culture", we all work on what we
want to work on and our actions speak louder than words - if you have an
"itch to scratch", then you scratch it!

Now that we have the pluggable ProjectHelper, do you see this as an area
where this sort of thing can be accomplished?

Certainly no one can stop you from the preprocessing possibilities such as
XSLT and Velocity - those are all above Ant's core - so you can't blame
veto's from stopping that from happening.  :)

I very much agree that Ant is not providing enough for a complete build
environment.  The fact that others are filling these gaps is a good sign,
especially that there is some competition going too. I just hope those folks
keep in touch with the ant-dev community so that we are aware of any hacks
and workarounds that they are doing because of Ant architectural
constraints. Their work (or pieces thereof) can be leveraged to bring into
the core as their work matures, it seems.

There are other projects layered on top of Ant that folks could claim show
that Ant isn't doing enough as well: CruiseControl, AntHill, Gump, Vindico,
and I'm sure several others. Under the hood of all of them is Ant though.
We just need to be sure to be sensitive and cooperative to these other
projects and make sure we play nicely with them.

    Erik

p.s. Did you say mutable properties?!   -1    :)))  (just kidding!)