ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 17:53:51 GMT
I think its an unfair generalization to say that ant-dev is "unwilling" to
deal with it.  Perhaps "uninterested" is more accurate.  Is there some way
in which we committers have made it more difficult to build the templating
pieces on top?

Ant *core* is still the engine that will be used at the lowest level of
templated build files.  I'm personally interested in the core engine at the
moment, and the meta/templating layer has not been something of interest to
me (yet).  There's room for us to all work at our own preferred layers, I
think.

I applaud these efforts, but don't categorize me as being "unwilling".  :))
I'm all for the evolution of layers on top of Ant.  Currently Maven and
Centipede are in the midst of a tug-of-war and its probably best to let the
dust settle a bit, unless you (meaning anyone listening) wants to jump in
and help out with one or both of these efforts.  Both are probably
self-admittedly "alpha" releases.

Both of these efforts generate some spectacular results and if your project
is fairly typical it can be built with Maven easily, it seems. I need to
research Centipede more to see what its capabilities are, but from what I
hear they are fairly similar.

    Erik