ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional PropertyFileTest.java
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 00:24:14 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>

> --- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> > We need to set up a mechanism whereby we can have known test case
> > failures committed to our CVS tree and a way to run them outside the
> > normal "test" and "run-single-test" targets perhaps.
>
> Why outside of that? And isn't the
> submit-one-and-a-committer-will-put-it-in the enough of a mechanism? I'm
> not sure what you're getting at.

I just think that while its a great ideal to strive for fixing bugs as soon
as they are found, its more realistic to expect some lag, especially in this
volunteer community we have.  If known failing test cases could be
contributed in a more "runnable" fashion than cutting and pasting from
Bugzilla then fixing would be even easier.

> Er, but doing the testcases stuff is the one thing I'm really bad about
> getting around to doing, so I'm not sure why you've specifically mentioned
> me in connection with this.

I know!  :)  You're *awesome* at finding the bugs and even making "test
cases" to identify them clearly.  If we could just redirect your skills
towards our BuildFileTest mechanisms (check out the patch I submitted
earlier which exploited the <propertyfile> bug - it was only one additional
build file line, and one Java line).

> >and we can fix them [...]
>
> And not to put too fine a point on it, and I suppose it's a bit off-topic,
> but Diane rarely reports a bug that she doesn't also fix :)

We love you Diane!

>  (Actually,
> can't think of a bug off-hand, even from when I first started using Ant
> back in the fall of 2000, that I ever just reported one without also
> either [before I was a committer] offering a fix or [once I was], putting
> a fix through for it.)

Same here.... thats how we became committers!

> (But maybe everything's just going down wrong today, since the new mouse I
> bought yesterday is almost as broken as the broken it was supposed to
> replace <grrrrrr>.)

I just stick to the red tip in the middle of the laptop keyboard.  I have
given up on mice.

    Erik