ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 20:36:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian McFarland" <ian@neo.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Ian McFarland" <ian@neo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)

> On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 04:59  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ian McFarland <ian@neo.com> wrote:
> >> On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 01:19  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >
> >> You should make them give you an Xserve.
> >

> See: http://www.apple.com/xserve/ (A very nice little 1U unit, with up
> to .48TB storage, and 1 to 2  1GHz procs. New this week.)

If apple were to donate one to Apache, I am sure that use would be made of
it. Hey, if they were to donate any of those fancy laptops like yours I'm
sure use would be made of them too, especially since my 3 year old pII/300
notebook died from all the excitement of spending the week up in the
spiritual home of windows, and is now a nice LCD with a dead motherboard
attached, and hard disk I need to gain access to, somehow.

> Mine's also a 2-proc box, which is probably good as there's a chance it
> will expose any potential threading/sync issues.

always good

> >> Ah... perhaps. I suppose I should look more carefully at what I'm
> >> checking out. ;-) How are the versions set up?
> >
> > The main branch...
> * snip *
>
> Ok, I checked out ANT_15_BRANCH, and got the same build failure on test
> 21:
>
> Testcase: test21(org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.AvailableTest):  FAILED
> expected:<true> but was:<null>
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<true> but was:<null>

> I should probably check stuff out on one of my linux boxes, too, so I
> can compare and contrast failures.

do you have a debugger on your PPC? could you, like step into tests to see
why things fail?

most tests call a build file and validate properties and things. Test 21
runs

etc/testcases/taskdefs/available.xml of which the relevant test is

  <target name="test21">
    <available property="test" ignoresystemclasses="true"
               classname="java.awt.Graphics"
classpath="${java.home}/lib/rt.jar:${java.home}/lib/classes.zip"/>
  </target>

so the failure could just be that the runtime is in a different place, and
we need to change the test. Seem likely?

> > What I see now is that I'm unable too bootstrap Ant there because I'm
> > not running in a graphical mode, at least this is my interpretation of
> >
> > kCGErrorFailure : initCGDisplayState: No display interlock
> >
> > Any idea how I could solve this?
>
> Hrm... That's an interesting one. Um... Never tried to run headless
> before to do this. Lemme try it myself....
>
> This may take some work. When Iog in as myself over ssh, I still have
> access to my window server, 'cause I'm logged in. I'll have to try this
> by logging out, and logging in to my desktop from my laptop.

Looks like someone still has to get the hang of running java headless. dont
worry, java1.3 on unix has the same problem in the imaging libs, hence
various batik related issues.