ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 11:06:14 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "GOMEZ Henri" <hgomez@slib.fr>

> >* T1 fully supports encoding; T2 doesn't seem to be
> >  supporting encoding in its curent form.
>
> Hum, need to learn more, may be after reading your own
> source.

Especially Japanese (Shift-JIS) stuff...

> >* T1 supports configurable start and end tokens (though,
> >  IIRC, it can be just one character each).  T2's
> >  token parsing, AFAICS, is not configurable.
>
> ok, I'll add this two tokens quickly ;)

As I said, I was merely trying to find the similarities
and differences - not trying to prod you into work on
it right away ;-)

> >* T1 uses multiple hierarchial Resource Bundles; T2 uses
> >  a single xml file - I can see merits in both approach.
>
> T2 could use a set of xml files, not just one.
> There is a not so hidden concept of domain, with a
> root domain.
> Each xml file concern a domain of translation and
> you could search in this domain by tagging like
> this __TRANS(mydomain@mysearchid)__.
>
> Fallback will be in root domain (should add more configure
> option here)

Cool.

> T2 have the same feature, since it extend MatchingTask
> and use restric :

Aah!  I missed that, didn't I...

> That's why one my idea, having Translate just an interface.
> XMLTranslate could be an implementation, ditto for ResourceBundles,
> and why not a JDBC implementation ?

+1 to all 4.  Willing to take it on? ;-)

> >xtranslate does look good - but, IMHO, if you can
> >integrate both these tasks into one, if feasible,
> >that would be the best step forward.  Let me know
> >what you think.
>
> Let's go. I'll try to get translate and translator a
> uniq task, with your benediction ;)

I say, go for it!  I can see the value addition you
are trying to provide to this task.

Cheers,
Magesh

*  Doctor: A person who kills your ills by pills,  *
*  and then kills you with his bills.              *