ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat precompile task
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 00:00:27 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Wannamaker" <Keith@Wannamaker.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 3:46 PM
Subject: RE: Tomcat precompile task

> Ok, I ended up creating two classes-
> (1) one compilerAdaptor which wraps JspC:
>      - compiles one-at-a-time, making use of -c option to name output
class
>      - mangler maps .jsp -> _1.java
>
> (2) one Task which generates .ver files with the appropriate version
>     for class files of the form name_nnn.class
>
> Used together, these tasks allow Ant to populate the work directory of
> Tomcat with precompiled files.
>
> http://apache.org/~keith/
>
> What I would like to know--
> 1)  this is my first stab at Ant extensions -- am I doing anything silly?

silly? no. There are some task guidlines, but apart from the m_member thingy
you have followed them. We need a test, of course; the JspVersionFile task
will work without needing any tomcat bits, so a good testcase there is easy.
Look how we do the others. For documentation, the proposal/xdocs stuff
autogenerates it all from javadocs now, so just put everything in there that
you need.

there are some jsp test pages to test the jasper compiler; you may be able
to adapt these, and reuse the same jasper source.

> and
> 2)  any objection to putting both these classes in Tomcat 3.3-head at
>     org.apache.tomcat.build?  Maybe org.apache.tomcat.ant?

in ant cvs or tomcat's? I would be happier if you put them in the tomcat 3.x
code tree, as they can live with the jsp compiler itself. It makes
versioning against jasper easier.

-steve