ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant on java 1.4
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 20:17:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 5:22 AM
Subject: Re: Ant on java 1.4

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
>
> > Would it be a problem if we set the default to "1.1", and let people
> > override it if they want ?
>
> Yes it would - you wouldn't have a way to use no -target switch at all
> and it would break backwards compatibility.

till 1.4 there was an implicit "1.1" right? So fixing target to 1.1 if
unspecified only makes things consistent. But maybe we need a way to say
"target=unspecified" to let the compiler decide.

Also, we are going to have to write a 1.4 special notes page somewhere in
the docs to spell out all this fun,

> The target
> attribute has been in <javac> since ever, so I don't know why nobody
> is using it.

because, till now, it was irrelevant