ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 07:46:36 GMT
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>

> From: "Chad Loder" <cloder@acm.org>
>

> > And this is where ant templating would be useful: to
> > be able to pull in target definitions from other files.
> >
> > Erik Hatcher, are you listening? :)
>
> Always - and I've experienced the pain of using entity reference includes in
> a build file and the problems associated with relative paths.
>
> I'm pretty sure that a better "include" mechanism is part of the
> requirements for Ant2.  How about having a look at how myrmidon or mutant
> are dealing with this issue.
>
> I think we need to separate out "templating" from "include" functionality -
> they seem different to me.  By templating I'm thinking of some generic
> project definition file that gets transformed into the Ant project model
> either as a phsyical build.xml or through a ProjectHelper implementation
> plugin.  The include mechanism is a bit different to me.

I wonder if we could use the "inlined XSLT templates" as a way to define transformers.
What I mean by this, if my memory does not fail me, is that there is a way in XSLT to define
in the same file the input file (e.g., project file) and the XSLT templates to be applied.

We would just need a ProjectHelper implementation that will call the correct XSLT API.

Does people know how that is suppose to work?

Jose Alberto