ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Bug 5662
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 06:09:03 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Sat, 11 May 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > I really never undesrtood completely why <param> should not take
> > precedence over -Ds;
>
> So you can say "use jikes" and don't need to care whether ant task
> will properly pass it down to subbuilds or not.

I think this is a false argument. Lets follow it through:

1) If I do not mention "build.compiler" as a <param> (which I guess is the case in 99%
of builds)
the value of the -D will be passed along just as it is today. So everything is as today.

2) If I go to the trouble to pass a specific value for "build.compiler" as a <param>
then most
probably there is a quite good reason why I am passing an specific value (like: this class
only
compiles on the classic compiler).

I would say this argument applies in general. The point is, it seems to me in this cases the
build
writer should be the one in control.

Jose Alberto