ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: translate/translator task - suggestions
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 19:30:55 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "GOMEZ Henri" <hgomez@slib.fr>

> - Translator have a concept of domains, so you could
>   search for a translation into all domains loaded,
>   or a specific domain.
>
>   There is a root (default) domain, where translator
>   search when :
>
>   - Initially if no domain is given for lookup.
>   - Fallback search when an entry is not found in the
>     specified domain.

IMHO, the concept of root and fallback has been
defined nicely to follow a hierarchial beanch-2-branch
pattern as explained in
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

If you can have your XML Dictionary files follow this pattern,
it would be peachy!  Or is there something that I do
not follow that makes you shrug this commonly followed
'standard'?

> The fallback tag is easy to add in xml based files,
> but how to do this in properties bundle implementation ?

Using the naming of the files.

> Should we tag each bundle res with a fallback tag in
> task properties ?

Nope.  It is taken care automatically.

> The domain idea is important when you want to translate
> a big webapp where dictionaries are splitted between
> developpers and when you can have such fallback strategy,
> ie some globals dictionaries and local dictionnaries.

Yep, it is important...  and I assume they will end up
being hierarchially defined ;-)

Side note:
Does your task reparse all files if the relevant
Config file has been changed as well?  Or does it
reparse a generated file only if the source file is
newer?

> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____

Cheers,
Magesh