ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 18:20:10 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Loder" <cloder@acm.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 1:14 PM
Subject: RE: Ant <project> extension, templatized build files

> Matt, that's a good idea which hadn't occurred to me. The
> only problem I can see is, how to refer to the
> clean.inc.xml file in a generic way (no matter
> where you are in the build tree). Can't be done
> with properties because the entity references
> are obviously low level XML processing instructions.
>
> And this is where ant templating would be useful: to
> be able to pull in target definitions from other files.
>
> Erik Hatcher, are you listening? :)

Always - and I've experienced the pain of using entity reference includes in
a build file and the problems associated with relative paths.

I'm pretty sure that a better "include" mechanism is part of the
requirements for Ant2.  How about having a look at how myrmidon or mutant
are dealing with this issue.

I think we need to separate out "templating" from "include" functionality -
they seem different to me.  By templating I'm thinking of some generic
project definition file that gets transformed into the Ant project model
either as a phsyical build.xml or through a ProjectHelper implementation
plugin.  The include mechanism is a bit different to me.

    Erik