ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 02:46:09 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian McFarland" <ian@neo.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Ian McFarland" <imf@neo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: Build failure on OS X (from anoncvs checkout)

> Debugger? Debuggers are for the weak! (That's what println is for. =-)

I guess as a println() user, you must find OSX an improvement on what went
before then. Nb, log4j: like println, only harder to set up.

> Yeah, I have jdb on here.
>
> > most tests call a build file and validate properties and things. Test 21
> > runs
> >
> > etc/testcases/taskdefs/available.xml of which the relevant test is
> >
> >   <target name="test21">
> >     <available property="test" ignoresystemclasses="true"
> >                classname="java.awt.Graphics"
> > classpath="${java.home}/lib/rt.jar:${java.home}/lib/classes.zip"/>
> >   </target>
> >

> Yes, that probably is the problem, since there is no
> $JAVA_HOME/lib/rt.jar or $JAVA_HOME/lib/classes.zip. I can pretty much
> assure you that java.awt.Graphics is available, though! Use it all the
> time. I think the OS X Java runtime just includes most of the runtime
> stuff inside the binary. As a result, I guess I'm not sure why this
> fails, though. If I do this, for example, I get what I expect:

> Here's what's in lib on OS X, in case you were wondering.
>
> [localhost:~/Projects/osxize/test] imf% ls $JAVA_HOME/lib/
> Xusage.txt                              glconfigurationlist.properties
> audio                                   ir.idl
> cmm                                     jvm.cfg
> content-types.properties                jvm.hprof.txt
> dt.jar                                  orb.idl
> ext                                     security
> flavormap.properties                    swing.properties
> fonts                                   tzmappings
> [localhost:~/Projects/osxize/test] imf%

bugger, there is nothing there we can use. Looks like the best trick would
be to make that test conditional on one or more of the libfiles
only test the result of the real available test if one of the jars is
around.

> Yeah, Macs don't like to be headless so much. They can be, but they
> don't like it. I think they are starting to address this (starting!)
> with Xserve and language patches for it. It does still need to have a
> framebuffer installed, though. Which is a shame. Would be nice to use
> that PCI slot for something more useful, or at least not have to pay for
> the card.
>
> And no, Java pre 1.4 is completely brain-dead when it comes to rendering
> graphics without a framebuffer. Still part of that nasty 1.0 legacy, I
> think. AWT? Need I say more?

To be fair, winNT needs a framebuff too; in embed mode you add a soft one
that renders to RAM.