ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPMs
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:00:19 GMT
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> I think the reason is that jikes is preffered because it's 'open
> source' and redistributable. Javac can't be redistributed by an open
> source project, only jre.

But the 1.4.1 RPM will set build.compiler to jikes if you have it
installed on your box and doesn't give you the choice.  And even
Henri's newer scripts force you to set an environment variable if you
don't want this magic to happen.

Sun does distribute their JDK as RPM as well, so even if it cannot be
bundeled with a distribution (I think the major distributors like
RedHat and Suse have deals with Sun that will allow them to distribute
the RPMs), it can be installed via rpm on Linux systems.

Stefan