ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:10:25 GMT
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <> wrote:
> Le Jeudi 25 Avril 2002 10:53, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <>
>> wrote:
>> > I have absolutly no problem as having part of our work merged
>> > upstream Actually, it makes our work easier, and i'd like to see
>> > this behaviour more often :-)
>> Maybe this would happen if the upstream was aware of your work 8-)
> OK, this is partly our faut, as we wanted to get some level of
> achievement before advertising really.

Just to clarify - "your work" in my sentence above is the changes
you've made to the scripts, not you creating RPMs.  I knew the later
and very much appreciate it.

> However, we (mostly Henry and I) tried several time to get java
> developpers attention on packaging problems on both general lists

wrong audience, IMHO.

> and on several devel lists with either no success or "what about 95%
> of world that don't run linux"-style answers,

Maybe this is a developpers versus users issue, I don't know.  I find
myself installing all the stuff I simply use but don't work on/with
from RPMs (like bash or gcc) but don't use RPMs for stuff that I
really need for my development (Ant, Tomcat, Apache or XEmacs) on my
Linux boxes.

And most of our users probably don't run Linux, yes 8-)

> What we currently had in mind was to redact some "make packagers
> happy howto" toward java developpers, maybe you could give us your
> opinion about preliminary draft ?

Sure - I'm now subscribed to jpackage-devel and will comment there
after I've read it.

>> I'd ask you to merge in new features downstream as well.
> Of course, but i understand you are talking of 1.5 future currently,
> right ?

1.5 is the very close future.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>