ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: compression for tar/untar (resend)
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:24:09 GMT
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Curt Arnold <> wrote:

> It would seem to be fairly simple to add a compress attribute with
> acceptable values of "none", "gzip" and "bzip2" to the tar and untar
> tasks to enable them to create or expand tar.gz or files in
> one step.

Ant doesn't invoke tar on the command line but uses some internal Java
classes.  It may be possible to wrap a TarOutputStream into a
(B)Zip(2)OutputStream, I haven't tried it.  If that doesn't work, I
don't see a way to work without an intermediate file.

If it is fairly simple, I'm sure somebody will send in a patch to
enable it ;-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message