ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:01:00 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, GOMEZ Henri <hgomez@slib.fr> wrote:

> We could add a --nojikes or --withjikes flag instead ;)

I'd probably prefer to add neither of both and make the user set
build.compiler in ANT_OPTS.  The default should be to not use jikes in
any case.

>>With the scripts you provide, Ant's default behavior is different
>>depending on whether you've chosen to install the RPM or install
>>from the binary distribution.  It shouldn't be that way.
>
> Could you explain me the differences in behavior so we could fix it.

(1) jikes handling

(2) missing ANT_HOME/lib with automatic addition of all stuff that is
in there to the CLASSPATH

(3) special handling of optional.jar and the USE_OPTIONAL variable.
Simple make (2) work and forget about optional.jar.  Either it is in
ANT_HOME/lib or not.

(4) The *name* of optional.jar

(5) ability to override the name of the java executable with
JAVACMD.  run() will always use JAVA_HOME/bin/java

(6) ANT_HOME/lib jars are prepended to CLASSPATH while tools.jar or
classes.zip are appended to it in Ant's script - your script prepends
both.

(7) ANT_OPTS and ANT_ARGS environment variables.

There may be more, this was just a quick analysis.

>>And another point: the website, especially the FAQ should be
>>included in the ant-manual RPM IMHO.
>
> They are in ant-manual sub-rpm which goes in
> /usr/doc/ant-manual-1.4.1/

Not in the ant-manual RPM from jakarta's site.  You only have the user
manual, not Ant's website nor Steve's articles.

Stefan