ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:54:35 GMT
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, GOMEZ Henri <hgomez@slib.fr> wrote:

> ant live in 3 differents dirs to respect rpm and fhs policies :

which doesn't mean that I'd agree with the decision 8-)

> I agree but the ant script in jpackage is more sophisticated
> and allow users to ant without jikes.

In the script inside the 1.4.1 RPM: if jikes is there, you set
build.compiler to jikes unconditionally.  I've seen your new USE_JIKES
environment variable, but I don't think this is a good solution
either.

You've also removed Cygwin, Mac OS X and AIX support which may come
back to you as soon as people on these platforms use OpenPKG (or
whatever it is called).

With the scripts you provide, Ant's default behavior is different
depending on whether you've chosen to install the RPM or install from
the binary distribution.  It shouldn't be that way.

Please let us merge your changes into Ant's very own wrapper script so
that you no longer need to maintain a separate script and we no longer
push back bug reports because we don't know your scripts.

And another point: the website, especially the FAQ should be included
in the ant-manual RPM IMHO.

Stefan