ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: RPMs
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:19:55 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >BTW, why does jikes get this special treatment by your RPMs (I'm
> >curious)?  This is not the only open source compiler supported by Ant,
> >but you only check for jikes, not gcj nor Kopi.
>
> gcj produce native code which is not what we want.
>
> And you make me discover kopi (i stopped tracking kaffe
> some months ago).
>
> Strangely there is no kopi (kjc) rpm (I'll release one asap).
>
> btw, jikes is fast, well-know and produce good code...

First, GCJ compiles java to .class like jikes or gcj. It can
generate native code as well - with the right options, but
works as a normal java compiler.

On the other side it has problems with inner classes - and won't
compile all jakarta without code changes.

Jikes is fast - but the recent versions seem to have some problems
with the produced code. I think it would be safer to use javac
for ant ( but keep jikes as the default for JSPs please :-)

Costin