ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:53:52 GMT
On 22 Apr 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > What do you means by incorrect directory layout ?
>
> Ant scattered in three different dirs (I like the power of setting
> ANT_HOME).

I hate that too - but that seems to be the 'correct' layout acording to
RedHat and fhs.

I allways preferred /opt/ hierarchy, with packages self-contained.

However that's how major linux distributions work, and I don't
think we should invent our own rules - even if the standard
sucks.

> And I really don't like the fact that you are using a wrapper script
> of your own (our's is better 8-) - forcing the compiler to be jikes
> just because I happen to have jikes installed is not nice for
> example.  We even had bug reports because of that that we've resolved
> via "let your system adminstrator fix the script".

I think the reason is that jikes is preffered because it's 'open source'
and redistributable. Javac can't be redistributed by an open source
project, only jre.

They do a similar thing with tomcat - mostly to get around the scatered
files and integrate with the other packages.

Costin